Onsite initiatives give voice to new perspectives and help catalyze change among several challenging industry issues
Portland, Maine (December 9, 2021) – The Running Event, North America’s Largest run specialty conference and tradeshow, brought together thousands of retailers, race directors, industry experts, top brands, and changemakers from across run specialty last week at the Austin Convention Center in Austin, Texas.
In addition to an expanded conference program, the three-day event also introduced a new philanthropic activity challenge, featured thrilling updates to the annual favorite Indie 5K, introduced new industry alliances, hosted the 2021 Best Running Stores and Industry Awards, and other exciting exhibit hall and networking activities.
- The comprehensive conference program featured keynotes by industry experts Parker Karnan (Karnan Associates) and Skot Welch (Global Bridgebuilders), in addition to three workshops and 11 conference sessions focused on critical topics for retailers and race directors. For the first time, race director education was produced in partnership with Running USA.
- Participants worked together in the first-ever #TRE21 Charity Challenge to unlock $20,000 through onsite activities for Austin Angels, Back on My Feet Austin, Running Industry Diversity Coalition, and The Lilith Fund from sponsors Brooks, Hoka, On, and The Running Event. Meet the challenge host Kilter here.
- The Indie 5K—held for the first time at Circuit of The Americas—put runners to the test on the same track that’s home to the only Formula 1 and MotoGP races in the country. 337 runners competed, with Naperville Running Company winning the retail team division, Dylan Marx leading the Male division at 14:04 minutes, and Julie Wiemerslage striding into first in the Female division at 17:25 minutes. Get the full race results here.
- #TRE21 provided a platform for two new industry alliances during engaging breakout sessions:
- Swiss sportswear brand On announced its first-ever Social Impact Partnerships program, Right to Run. Launching early 2022, the Right to Run panel at #TRE21 featured conversations with partners—Ainsley’s Angels, Equity Design, 48 for Change, Achilles Canada, Colour the Trails, and Back on my Feet—who are aligned with their mission of protecting and preserving runner’s fundamental right to run.
- The Low Impact Alliance brought running industry pioneers Christian Fyfe, Kristin Carpenter, Ben Cooke, and Caspar Coppetti together for a conversation on sustainability—which is often at the forefront of public discussion and increasingly a marketing argument for running brands.
- The 2021 Best Running Stores celebrated 60 run specialty retailers who go above and beyond for customer service and community, with Charlotte Running Company winning the Store of the Year. Adding to the celebration were industry awards given to select retailers by Brooks, Saucony, Skechers, Balega, and On.
- The exhibit hall featured engaging and dynamic booths by 200 market-leading exhibitors, including Saucony, Brooks, On, and New Balance. With 14 show-floor happy hours, New York and Boston Marathon-themed networking pods, engaging Training Camp theater presentations, and the expanded New Product Showcase & Sock Bar, attendees had ample opportunity to connect, learn, recharge, and do business.
“The run specialty community was eager to reconnect, and the energy at The Running Event 2021 was palpable,” said Christina Henderson, Executive Director. “This was our 15th edition of The Running Event, and it was a special one. The industry left Austin with a renewed spirit. We can’t wait to see you again in the coming year.”
Save the Date
Next year, The Running Event returns to Austin November 29 through December 1. Stay up-to-date by signing up for #TRE22 event updates here.
About The Running Event
Launched in 2006, The Running Event is North America’s largest running specialty trade show. Each year, it attracts thousands of industry professionals seeking the latest in running footwear, apparel, gear, and services. With numerous opportunities for peer-to-peer learning, interactive and forward-looking conference programming, and dynamic product demonstration and discovery, The Running Event is the can’t-miss trade show for run specialty. For more information, visit: https://www.therunningevent.com/
About Diversified Communications
Diversified Communications is a leading international media company with a portfolio of face-to-face exhibitions and conferences, online communities, and digital and print publications. As producers of these market-leading products, Diversified Communications connects, educates, and strengthens business communities in over 14 industries including: food and beverage, healthcare, natural and organic, business management and technology. Established in 1949 and headquartered in Portland, Maine, USA with divisions and offices around the world, Diversified Communications remains a privately held, third generation, family-owned business. For more information visit: http://www.divcom.com/